Bell Adoption

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Day 25.... and counting....

.... it's been about 25 days since we left Denver. We simply cannot wait to get back home. Only about 9 to 11 days left, or so we hope.

We've had so many ups and downs, today was a pretty good day overall. This morning we all went over to the orphanage planning to play with the kids in the playground. Then our interpretor announced that he and Cliff would be going into town to pick up some stuff for the orphanage.... leaving me alone with the kids for an hour, for the first time ever! I wouldn't have been that worried about it, but yesterday was not a very good day with the kids, to say the least. They can be such a handlefull, plus that playground is an 'accident waiting to happen'. Surprisingly, it went well! Gala is learning the words to 'Itsy Bitsy Spider', and they both know all the actions. Vova just laughs and laughs when I sing it. We collected rocks, twigs and leaves and built a little house. I fixed a chain on Vova's friends bike, he said 'thank you' in English. Cliff was amazed to come back and see us all in-tact. It's been so incredibly hard with the language barrier, they were told the other day that we couldn't see them last Sunday, but they didn't understand. They have been told that they are leaving soon, and moving to America to live with their new family, it's hard to know how much they really understand.

Here's a kinda funny for my 'coffee friends'. I was in a coffee bar awhile ago, and tried to explain to the waitress that I wanted espresso, with a little hot water, in Ukrainian. After several minutes of trying to explain what I wanted, she looked at me and asked "Americano?" I've never seen Americano on any menu and couldn't believe that she knew what it was!

We noticed that whenever anyone here answers the phone, they say 'hello' in English... thought that was interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home